Monday, August 16, 2010

Lazy Chefs

Actually, I don't know if he was lazy so much as incompetent...though it might have been a mixture of the two.

I was visiting a certain university in California around mid day when the pangs of hunger struck me. Thus, I decided to grab a bite to eat. Their food court immediately disappointed me, and I immediately missed UCLA fare...though I decided not to dwell on the happy thought of the food of other university cafeterias, since that wouldn't exactly feed me.

I walked up to one of the few places that was open, and ordered a teriyaki salmon wrap. I wanted salmon, and it was the only salmon dish available on the menu. I also ordered a small Greek salad with it since it sounded good to me at that moment. (What possessed me to do this? Like I said, I was hungry.)

The wrap came to me about 20 minutes later alongside my sad little bowl of cubed cucumbers, tomatoes, and kalamata olives all with a lump of feta cheese on top. It was basically just a large hunk of salmon that had been charbroiled and stuck on a bed of basmati rice mixed with peas and chopped cooked carrots. Oh yeah, it was also drowned in teriyaki sauce. I couldn't even bite the thing without the viscous stuff languidly dripping out of the green tortilla in which it was all enclosed.

Bottom line: it was bad. I was very hungry though, so I ate it (*shudder*) and the little salad too.

Dear Odin....why basmati?!

That thing wasn't even what I was expecting...I could have had something better at airports; small, regional airports.

This is why you make your own food, so that you don't end up getting carrots and basmati rice soaked in teriyaki and stuffed in a dry tortilla alongside an awkward piece of salmon.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment