Friday, February 5, 2010

Conlanging - Glad I started it!

Conlang = "constructed language."

Hopefully you read a bit into that page...if you haven't at least skim it. I only got into conlanging about a year and a half ago, though I've been interested in languages for nearly my entire life. (Yeah, I haven't been around that long, but still...) Creating languages is an interesting challenge for me, and every step I take in the development of my projects seems rewarding (even if it doesn't take me in a direction I particularly like or enjoy.) Because I need to add another blog post for February, I've decided to just briefly mention some things I like about conlanging.

For one, it's fun and a neat challenge. Plus, it can be used for all sorts of enjoyable, creative, or nefarious purposes! It also makes you appreciate language and linguistic diversity more while making you more aware of your own language and the mechanics of it. It also encourages you to develop new ways of thinking, and to consider the nature of human (or other!) communication. Plus: it helps you better understand your own language as well as others. :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment